Disclaimer: Due to the current uncertainty regarding coronavirus, many events are being cancelled. Please contact the event organiser directly via the contact details on the listing if you are unsure.
Long Exposure Photography with Haida Filters - Princes Pier
Learn the art of long exposure, adding the majestic flow of movement to your landscape photography to produce incredible results.
About this Event
Let Canon Collective Ambassador Jay Collier help you advance your photography skills to a new level. Add the powerful element of movement to your landscape photography through the use of Haida Filters at one of Melbourne's iconic landscape locations, Princes Pier in Port Melbourne.
Our small group workshop will provide you the opportunity to get hands-on with your very own supplied Haida filter kit containing neutral density and graduated filters to help you capture dramatic landscape imagery like never before.
• How to calculate long exposure times
• How to master exposure using your histogram
• How to read the scene and select shutter speeds for the best effect
• Improving your composition
• Learn how to capture long exposure panoramic images
What to bring
• Canon EOS camera & wide lens or borrow from the Canon Collective kit
• Sturdy tripod with tripod plate (no tripods are available to loan)
• Remote switch or cable release (if you have one) or use the self timer
• Lens cloth suited to cleaning glass
Please meet at the seats at the end of the pier which is the shooting location.
• All skill levels are welcome however a decent knowledge of using your camera in manual exposure mode is required.
• Check out these long exposure tips before your event to maximise your Collective experience.
• Please have the APP: LE (Long Exposure) Calculator installed on your smart phone
• Canon Collective will provide you with the Haida Filter kits
• Canon loan equipment will be available includes full frame Canon EOS cameras and wide angle lenses.
• Please bring water, sun cream, hat, and appropriate clothing.
As this event takes place outside we can’t control the environment so please take care in your surroundings.
COVID-safe event conditions:
Please note that by booking this workshop you agree to the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of all participants and of our team. This includes:
• Adhering to a maximum number of persons (inclusive of your Collective Ambassador) as per government advice
• Maintaining 1.5m social distancing at all times and indoor distancing as advised by each state government – applicable between Ambassadors and all guests
• Learning outcomes will be provided by verbal explanation. Canon Collective Ambassadors will be unable to handle your cameras or review results on the LCD screen.
• Access to hand sanitiser during the event
• Wiping down / sanitisation of all shared gear
Who should not attend?
• Anyone feeling unwell or awaiting COVID-19 test results
• Anyone who has travelled overseas within the last 14 days
• Anyone who has been in contact with any known positive COVID-19 person within the last 14 days
• Anyone at “greater risk of serious infection” as described by the Australian Government as follows:
- people aged 70 years and over
- people aged 65 years and over with chronic medical conditions
- people with a compromised immune system
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples 50 years and older with one or more chronic medical conditions
By booking an event, you agree to cooperate with all requirements and confirm you do not fall within one of the above listed categories. If your situation changes between booking your event and the day of the event, please do not attend and reschedule your place by contacting us.
Main: Image by Canon Collective Ambassador Jay Collier, Princes Pier , Melbourne
Above: Image by Canon Collective Ambassador Jay Collier, Princes Pier , Melbourne
Please consider the following requirements prior to booking this workshop, in consideration of the host and other participants:
• Please arrive 15 mins before the start time. The workshop will begin at the designated time and late arrivals may not be admitted.
• If you are more than 15 minutes early, please make yourself comfortable and wait for the host to greet guests together at the same time.
• Please choose carefully. Except where otherwise indicated, we do not offer refunds unless an event has to be cancelled, rescheduled to a date you cannot attend, or where required under Australian Consumer Law. View the Terms of Registration.
• Please take careful note of event details at time of booking. If you have any further question’s, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, however please note that due to the nature of our work we may be unable to respond to all request in a timely manner.
Share your images
We'd love to see what you capture! Please share your images from this event by tagging @canoncollectiveofficial or #canoncollective for your chance to be featured on the Canon Collective official Instagram account.
Category Festivals and Celebrations